July 30, 2013
The Morris County Fund at the Community Foundation of New Jersey (CFNJ) announced it has allocated a total of $66,665 in grant monies to twelve local nonprofits thus far in 2013.
The Fund was created to distribute dollars from Legacy Funds given to CFNJ. Families who establish Legacy Funds can specify an issue, cause or hometown that they would like to have their charitable legacy impact. CFNJ can then respond quickly to ever-changing community needs through grants designed around the spirit of the donor’s wishes.
The Fund’s current focus areas include: education, health, child welfare, immigrant welfare, and music education, among others.
Legacy Funds currently part of the Morris County Fund include:
- Carol & William Gardam Fund
- Rose Anthony Howard Fund
- Elisabeth C. Brinley Fund
- Sheila Williamson Memorial Fund
- Svetlana Stalin Fund
- Diane Dixon Fund
- George & Yvonne Alkemade Fund
- Irene A. Van Deusen Fund
- Jane Engelhard Fund
- John & Rose LaBrec Fund
- Henrietta McPherson Fund
- Margaret B. Thompson Fund
This year’s grant recipients include:
- Alliance for Morris County Parks – $23,210 grant for specific equipment for the all-access playground in Morris County’s Central Park.
- CASA of Morris & Sussex – $4,510 grant to support the “Family Search & Connect” Program for foster children who are aging out of the system.
- Children on the Green – $3,000 grant to use for preschool education for children from area shelters.
- Dover Free Public Library – $2,770 grant used to purchase seven different magnifiers that will be used by the vision-impaired.
- Family Promise of Morris County – $4,510 grant to support the part-time volunteer coordinator.
- Jersey Battered Women’s Services – $3,620 grant to use for non-residential counseling services for women in need.
- Morris Arts – $5,560 to use for an Artist Residency Scholarship for a to-be-selected town in Morris County.
- Morris County Prevention is Key – $2,775 grant for the New Social Engine program, which aims to reduce substance abuse by providing healthy alternative activities, at three Morris County colleges: FDU, Drew and CCM.
- Morris Educational Foundation – $9,000 grant for the fourth and final contribution for the turf field at Morristown High School.
- Museum of Early Trades & Crafts – $3,000 grant to bring Morris County children who are attending non-Morristown summer camps on field trips to the Museum.
- Planned Parenthood of Central and Northern New Jersey – $1,700 grant purchase a defibrillator for PPCNJ’s Health Center in Morristown.
- Storytelling Arts – $3,000 grant for storytelling programs for preschool children at two Morris County Head Start programs (Morristown and Dover).