October 24, 2023
The Community Foundation of New Jersey today announced fourteen grants totaling $55,000 to non-profit organizations that support companion animals. The funding is made available by the Great Companions Fund, a legacy fund at the Community Foundation.
Organizations receiving funding include:
- South Jersey Regional Animal Shelter – Community Outreach’s CASA (Companion Animal Support and Assistance) program.
- Rawhide Rescue, Inc – General Operating Funds.
- No Paw Left Behind – Vet bills, supplies for foster homes, pet food, and hospice fosters.
- Mt Pleasant Animal Shelter, Inc. – MPAS Behavior & Enrichment Program.
- Castle of Dreams Animal Rescue – General Operating Support.
- Oasis Animal Sanctuary, Inc. – Sterilization Assistance Program.
- Creature Comfort Pet Therapy – Volunteer recruitment for pet therapy teams.
- Second Chance for Animals – Franklin Township Food Bank pet food assistance program.
- Paws Give Me Purpose, Inc – Sanctuary for Senior, special needs, and hospice dogs.
- Real Dog Rescue – General Operating Funds.
- Lucky Paws Animal Assistance, Inc. – Lucky Paws spay and neuter program.
- Don’t Bully Us Rescue – Don’t Bully Us Rescue Training Program.
- Bullmastiff Rescuers, Inc – Eradicating Heartworm Infestation.
- Marty’s Place Senior Dog Sanctuary Inc – Marty’s Place Senior Doggie Dental Care.
The Great Companions Fund is a legacy fund at the Community Foundation of New Jersey, established by a New Jersey resident who, through a bequest, wanted to help others experience the happiness animals can bring. The donor’s personal devotion to animals will continue in perpetuity through the endowed fund.
“It is our privilege to steward this donor’s gift in perpetuity,” said Aaron Turner, Chief Philanthropic Officer at the Community Foundation of New Jersey. “The needs of companion animals and those who benefit from them evolve over time, so we take special care to ensure the donor’s intention is honored throughout. Thanks to this donor’s generosity, organizations supporting companion animals can expect a strong partner for years to come.”
As friends of the donor can attest, the legacy of this loving animal owner, award-winning trainer and dedicated supporter of rescue groups is an immeasurable affection for animals.
“This individual spent a good deal of time helping people better understand how animals can bring joy to our lives. The donor’s confidence in animals was, without a doubt, attributable to an assuredness in their ability if provided the right training and care,” said the donor’s attorney. “I introduced this animal lover to the Community Foundation because I knew it would identify organizations that would be consistent with this mission.”
The Great Companions Fund made its first grants to animal friendly non-profits in Spring 2013.
About the Community Foundation of New Jersey
The Community Foundation of New Jersey creates and scales custom solutions for purpose-driven individuals, families, and businesses. From creative projects that tackle critical societal or policy issues to scholarship funds, corporate philanthropy, legacy funds and donor advised funds, CFNJ manages nearly every kind of giving vehicle and tailors solutions to meet critical needs. CFNJ’s team of specialists understand the unique contours of communities and manage the scope of CFNJ investment and grantmaking capabilities with precision. With $725 million in assets, the Community Foundation grants tens of millions of dollars each year through its more than 1,100 funds. In 2022, CFNJ granted more than $150 million to nonprofits in New Jersey and beyond.