Grant recommendations may be made:
A few things to remember:
- Minimum distribution from your fund is $100
- The Foundation approves grants to public charities determined by the IRS to be 501(c)(3) organizations as well as to sponsor direct charitable work in communities (for example, paying for police officers to spend extra time on an issue in a community)
- Grant administration staff performs due diligence on all grants and processes and mails grants within 5–10 days of receipt
- Grants to international organizations (unless the organization has a U.S. affiliate that is recognized by the IRS as a tax exempt public charity under section 501(c)3) require special arrangements; please contact us to discuss
There are some grant recommendations we cannot honor:
- Grants to private non-operating foundations
- Grants directly to individuals; this does not interfere with the work of scholarship funds as those dollars are paid directly to schools
- Grants to political candidates or organizations
- Grants to fulfill personal pledges, though a donor advised fund can make a pledge (we find it’s easier to discuss these with us in advance)
- Grants that result in the donor deriving a material benefit such as tickets to a dinner event, free admission to a museum, salary, or other material support
- Bifurcation Note: The Foundation can only pay for the tax deductible portion of a ticket or membership. If the donor will be attending the event, it is his/her personal responsibility to pay for the non-tax deductible portion of any ticket purchase and/or similar benefit. If these guidelines are not adhered to, you, the donor, can experience a legal penalty of 125% of the value of that benefit as mandated by the Pension Protection Act of 2006. Please be sure to note on your recommendation if you plan to attend the special event. If attending, the donor can either send their personal check along with the grant recommendation or mail under separate cover to the organization.
- Grants to organizations on the U.S. Department of Treasury Office of Foreign Asset Control Terrorist List
Questions? Call 973.267.5533 or email.