Grant recommendations may be made:
- Minimum distribution from your fund is $100
- The Foundation can only approve grants to public charities determined by the IRS to be a 501(c)(3) organization
- Following due diligence by grant administration staff, grant recommendations will be processed and mailed within 5–10 days of receipt
The following grant recommendations will not be honored:
- Grants to international organizations (unless the organization has a U.S. affiliate that is recognized by the IRS as a tax exempt public charity under section 501(c)(3))
- Grants to private non-operating foundations
- Grants to individuals
- Grants to political candidates or organizations
- Grants to fulfill personal pledges
- Please note a donor advised fund can make a pledge and should be discussed with CFNJ in advance
- Grants which result in the donor deriving a material benefit which includes small benefits such as tickets to a dinner event, free admission to a museum, salary, or other material support
- Bifurcation Note: The Foundation can only pay for the tax deductible portion of a ticket or membership. If the donor will be attending the event, it is his/her personal responsibility to pay for the non-tax deductible portion of any ticket purchase and/or similar benefit. If these guidelines are not adhered to you, the donor, can experience a legal penalty of 125% of the value of that benefit as mandated by the Pension Protection Act of 2006. Please be sure to note on your recommendation if you plan to attend the special event. If attending, the donor can either send their personal check along with the grant recommendation or mail under separate cover to the organization.
- Grants to organizations on the U.S. Department of Treasury Office of Foreign Asset Control Terrorist List
Questions? Call 973.267.5533 or email.